Current Date: November 17th-18th, 10 AF
- 5 Mk.I Headhunters, 2 Mk.II Headhunters, 1 Snapper
- Riddles and the Minotaur
- After fleeing the ranger station with Agent Jaeger’s cortical stack you look into the TQZ at an advancing army of TITAN weapons converging on your position. Five Headhunters and two of their larger, missile bearing variants have locked on to your position. Deceiver starts the Mars buggy and everyone piles in as Pyrelight fires at the TITAN forces.
- The buggy flies over the barren landscape, dodging missiles as Glowurm and Pyrelight manage to bring down a headhunter. Aura sees a glint of light and shimmery air in their path. There is a nanoswarm cloud coming in from the TQZ. Deceiver manages to avoid the worst of it but not before he (and Aura) is coated in the little buggers. Frog prepares an antinano solution while Aura deploys his counterswarms.
- The headhunters manage to catch up with the vehicle and latch on and start cutting there way into the vehicle. Frog lays one out with SMG fire and Aura freezes one solid but a much bigger threat has just appeared. A vehicular TITAN weapon, called a Snapper, emerges from behind a berm and slams into the side of the buggy delivering horrific damage with its many pincer bearing arms. Glowurm fires his particle beam weapon and Pyrelight lobs grenade after grenade at the creature, eventually bringing it down but not before the buggy is all but totaled. Deceiver launches the vehicle over a gully and it is destroyed.
- Pyrelight grabs the survival gear and you hoof it out of there. The battle is going badly for the rangers and that means that larger ordnance will soon be deployed. You run as a massive explosion caused by an orbital weapon lays waste to the TITAN forces. You are knocked around by the shockwave but survive.
- You make camp, heal your wounds and Frog analyzes Jaeger’s cortical stack. As he begins to do so Glowurm feels a strange, painful sensation. Somehow the cortical stack has been psychically altered by the TITANs. There is a flash and everything goes black.
- You awaken in a dark musty room with stone walls. A man bearing a torch approaches. It is Agent Jaeger. He welcomes you and says that you are to set out on a dangerous quest. You must travel through the labyrinth and answer a series of riddles or you will be punished by “them”.
- You approach a narrow bridge in the darkness. Jaeger explains the rules of the challenge. Four people come to a river in the night. There is a narrow bridge, but it can only hold two people at a time. They have one torch and, because it’s night, the torch has to be used when crossing the bridge. Person A can cross the bridge in one minute, B in two minutes, C in five minutes, and D in eight minutes. When two people cross the bridge together, they must move at the slower person’s pace. The question is, can they all get across the bridge in 15 minutes or less?
- You solve the riddle.
- You come to the next challenge. You stand before two doors. In front of each of the two doors, there stands a guard. You know the following things: 1. One door leads further into the labyrinth, the other to Death. From where you stand, you cannot distinguish between the two doors. Worse, once you choose, you cannot turn back. 2. One of the two guards always tells the truth. The other guard always lies. Unfortunately, it is impossible for you to distinguish between the two guards. You have permission to ask one guard one question to ascertain which path leads further into the labyrinth. Remember that you do not know which guard you’re asking — the truth-teller or the liar — and that this single question determines whether you live or die. The question is: What one question asked of one guard guarantees that you are led onto the right path, regardless of which guard you happen to ask?
- You choose the correct door.
- You come to a woman weeping on the floor in a shroud. She calls herself Pasiphae and asks you the third riddle. “I have millions of eyes, yet I live in darkness. I have millions of ears, yet only four lobes. I have no muscles, yet I rule two hemispheres. What am I?”
- You answer correctly.
- Pasiphae begins to crumble into dust, screaming as she does and from her huddled form a massive minotaur, her child, Asterion emerges. Jaeger appears and says you must fight and defeat him. You are unarmed.
- Pyrelight figures out that to defeat the beast he must kill Jaeger as it Jaeger’s mind they are fighting.
- They kill Jaeger and the minotaur collapses, dead. From its shattered form a metallic sphere appears. The sphere begins to glow and with a flash you awaken in the Martian barrens. Somehow you know that the sphere is a TITAN artifact designed to control something of immense power on Pasiphae and that it is located within a few days hike into the TQZ.
- You check your gear and you guts and set off to retrieve it.